Arriving at a music store as an inexperienced customer, you might get lost in the offered acoustic guitars. To choose the right type, you have to spend more than one week on trips to retail outlets and searches on the Internet. Various review platforms can help you get a cheap acoustic electric guitar. Below will look at different things to consider when choosing an acoustic guitar.
Features of Acoustic Guitar
First of all, you need to find out what an acoustic guitar is. This is the name of a plucked string instrument from the category of guitars, which creates sound by vibrating the strings. The empty cabinet resonates and amplifies the sound. The available types of acoustic guitar include:
- Classic – the design assumes use exclusively with nylon strings;
- Western – metal strings are installed on them.
With classic models, everything is clear: the body and technical details are made according to a single standard. But Westerns (they are also pop models) are divided into many types according to brand features, manufacturing techniques, dimensions of bodies, and necks.
Acoustic Guitar Selection Guidelines
The problem of how to choose a guitar with good sounding and technical characteristics becomes easier if the buyer pays attention to the following recommendations:
- The acoustic guitar should be comfortable. You should hold it in your hands while standing and sitting, sort out the strings. The main thing is that there is no discomfort in the arms and legs.
- The main thing to know about guitar frets when buying is the formation of an even sound along the entire neck. Bounce, pitch fluctuations, multiple overtones are unacceptable. There is a way to check the tuning. For this, use the harmonic. At the 12th fret, the harmonic is compared to a simple sound at the same fret. Both sounds must have the same tone.
- The neck should be free from defects: distortions, cracks, chips (especially in places where they can affect the sound). The deck should be examined very carefully; if there are even minor defects, the instrument should be put aside. How to check the curvature of the guitar neck: you need to pick it up like a gun: body – stock, neck – barrel. Look along the neck: its surface should be flat.
- With the neck glued to the body, the space between frets and strings should be no more than 5mm.
- You shouldn’t take an adjustable neck instrument in a low price category. If the material is of poor quality, then there is a high probability of constant “floating” of the formation.
- Thick-body guitars are worth paying attention to if you don’t want to carry them around a lot. They sound loud, thick, and the tone is richer.
- You should like the look of the guitar. This is important because playing an unloved instrument is unlikely to bring pleasure.